Sunday, 11 January 2015

The Sunday Edit: Being Creative


Okay, so most of you who read this blog will know by now that I like Photography and I plan on doing it a whole lot more over this next year. But what most of you won't know is that I have a quite a creative past as well.

When I first moved to London just over 2 years ago, I originally moved here to pursue a life long(ish) goal of becoming an Animator. Something I'd wanted to do alongside becoming a Princess since I was little. When I got here I worked full time at John Lewis for 7 months and worked a full time Internship at an Animation Studio. It sounds bonkers I know, but I loved it so much. Eventually the hard work paid off and I went into Animation full time and started to gain Freelance studio work at a pace I never expected. It was everything I wanted. However, what I was not to know at the time is that 3 months down the line, I would find out I had pretty bad Arthritis in my hands (my hands would stiffen and swell after only a few hours, leaving me pretty much unable to draw for the rest of the day) and my career and dream fell to the ground in pieces.

It was tough, knowing I couldn't do what I studied, trained for and loved for the last 6-7 years of my life and trying to figure out what to do next was really challenging. However, roughly 18 months later after many different obstacles, barriers, walls to climb and support from my friends, I've finally found myself here: Living in a lovely house with 3 of my best friends, one of them being my wonderful boyfriend, already going part time at my current job to pursue a new career in Photography, running this little internet space of mine and just being excited about the future again. Pretty good I'd say.

Yet I still have this teeny, tiny, little hole sitting inside me that misses the Animation and Illustration I used to do, and although that's to be expected, it's made me think about what else I could do to keep it fulfilled. So that's where my next venture comes in. Going part time means I have more time to focus on my own things, Photography being the obvious one of course, but also something I've been thinking of doing for a while now. Creating my own personalised greetings cards!
Hopefully in early Spring, I want to have my own little Etsy store opened up (which is set up already but has nothing on it) selling my creations! It wouldn't be anything hardcore, cos you know, Arthritis and all that, but something small, achievable and creative that I can do for myself and for anyone else who likes my stuff. I've always wanted to do something like this and now's my chance! So keep your eyes peeled for when that goes live, as I'll most likely being going nuts about it on here.

I'm proud of where I am now and all my new ambitions, which goes to show if you can't do something you've wanted to do FOREVER for whatever reason, just look at all the paths that can lead off from it. It does take time and it definitely isn't easy but it is achievable and when you finally get there, and start wanting it as much as you wanted the last thing, it's the best feeling in the world.

Good luck guys.

2 comments:

  1. This is such an inspirational post! I admire how you are still positive after your dreams being taken away but I wish you all the best with your photography!

    Clothing Conscious // Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete